Skip to main content

The Woman Behind the Waterfall

The Woman Behind the Waterfall

-By Leonora Meriel


Heartbreak and transformation in the beauty of a Ukrainian village

For seven-year old Angela, happiness is exploring the lush countryside around her home in western Ukraine. Her wild imagination takes her into birds and flowers, and into the waters of the river.

All that changes when, one morning, she sees her mother crying. As she tries to find out why, she is drawn on an extraordinary journey into the secrets of her family, and her mother's fateful choices.

Can Angela lead her mother back to happiness before her innocence is destroyed by the shadows of a dark past?

Beautiful, poetic and richly sensory, this is a tale that will haunt and lift its readers.




                      Goodreads                    Amazon





                    A Big Thank you to Leonora Meriel for providing me with a review copy of this book

MY RATING:-★★★☆☆


Okay Folks So I legit wanted to read this book because since it was categorized as a magical realism novel I thought it would have a girl hopping around in a magical cape making people disappear yes,that's my view of magical realism because what do you expect if I ever got magical abilities I wouldn't hop around making people disappear like don't be dumb But boy oh boy was I in for surprise This book did have a little girl turning into a bird and hopping flying around but sadly she couldn't make people disappear but this was a really I don't really know the way to put it but it was  a book addressing some pretty serious issues here like how sometimes we think that the choices we've made are mistakes but in reality they aren't and how if you could possibly even change it you'd want to come back to your own timeline this book portrayed very beautifully I must say some dang serious issues and the way it interweaves magic and reality was quite magical(see what I did there? Honestly where's my god damn trophy?)





1) I basically liked that Angela could turn into a bird although I would've much preferred if she had turned into a dragon but I don't think she had a choice so like yeah but I just liked how she turned into a bird and then flew and ate worms and stuff like way to have a life experience when you're a little kid and not to torture pets.Nice.
2) I also liked how beautifully it was all portrayed like in every line you could find something beautiful which is always a plus point I mean man if you read this book you'd be like damn that was beautiful which I say quite frequently I've to say out loud sometimes which leads to my parents thinking that I'm a crazy loon but whatever they are already planning to deport me to the Caribbean.
3) I basically loved the whole premise of you know seeing the choices you made and seeing how if you had taken the other path it wouldn't have resulted in much good of a result and you might regret your now choices but realize if you ever made a different choice you could end up in more of a well crappy situation than you're in now (I know I weave beautiful sentences like go me! don't say not really or you'll regret it)




1) Just the descriptive nature of this book I mean I know half the book was from the point of view of a bird or a tree or river or whatever but you guys know me (probably not) I love good banter and sass and there was just 0% of that so basically I wasn't much of a happy camper.
2) For half of the book I was like really confused possibly because I don't have a normal brain I have a brain that likes to pretend he's a pirate and ignore me when I ask for help but can't blame my dear brain I'd ignore myself too if I could but just I didn't get it but at the point where I actually started getting it well it was nice after that.
3)I didn't like that what's his name vov? Voldemort? sounds about right to me I mean the guy was super ambitious all the problems started from this guy and his stupid ambitions and I just don't like him I'd never like him.

I did like the book I've never read a book quite of this type with so much grief and the transition it just you know felt good to read something new also I love the Ukraine setting it just kind of fits the book I mean I don't know I just really liked this book.







So That's it for today folks if this book interests you then go ahead and pick it up I've linked it up right there with the summary(In case you didn't notice already) Also while you're at it go ahead and tell me if you've read something completely out  of your normal tastes or have been completely surprised by the book(this happens quite frequently with me since I'm pretty delusional but you know me). Go on honey muffins tell me I'd love to know.

Bye for now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simon VS. The Homosapiens Agenda

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by   Becky Albertalli Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met. MY RATING:-🌟🌟

CARVE THE MARK #1

Carve the Mark by   Veronica Roth On a planet where violence and vengeance rule, in a galaxy where some are favored by fate, everyone develops a currentgift, a unique power meant to shape the future. While most benefit from their currentgifts, Akos and Cyra do not—their gifts make them vulnerable to others’ control. Can they reclaim their gifts, their fates, and their lives, and reset the balance of power in this world? Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power—something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows. Akos is from the peace-loving nation of Thuvhe, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Though protected by his unusual currentgift, once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get his brother out alive—no matter what

Flame In The Mist #1

Flame in the Mist by   Renee Ahdieh The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath. So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace. The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first ti